Sunday, December 20, 2015

Preparedness - The Tool Edition


     As stated in a previous post, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but as far as the concept of being a "prepper" goes this hobbyist has his preferences. This is stuff I do actually take into the woods when I go. I've done the trial and error, underline error, and anything that I write here on this subject is going to come from experience, not theory.
     As a short aside, I'm going to say that my experiences are really only applicable to this region - The Upper Great Lakes region. MN, WI, IL, the Dakotas, MI, and climates similar. I don't know squat about venturing out into the desert, only a little about the mountains, even less about the swamp. My time is spent in the conditions of prairie and woods; sometimes hot, sometimes bitter cold.
     Anyway, in this post, I want to dive into the basic tools that I carry and why.

1. The Machete


     This thing has come in more useful than I could have imagined. Not just a blade, but a saw as well. I don't know if you've tried hiking through 4-5 foot tall prairie grass, I have, and it is not easy or fun. This tool helps get through almost any dense vegetation and the saw side makes short work out of trees up to about a foot in diameter.

2. The Entrenching Tool (E Tool)


     Basically, a small, collapsable shovel. The uses are innumerable. From digging yourself out in a blizzard, to scraping the ground before you pitch your shelter, to digging a hole to take a dump in, to digging a trench to divert water from around your shelter, and so much more. 3 positions; folded for carry, 90 degree angle for trenching and picking, and flat for digging, you are going to be glad that you have an E Tool.

3. The Hatchet


     It's both a cutting and pummeling tool. Blade and hammer. For instance, on my last outing I had no tent stakes, they stayed at home. (Oops) After cutting some appropriately sized branches with the saw end of the machete, I was able to taper the ends with the hatchet, then flip it around to drive the improvised stakes. The blunt end of this model isn't very wide, but is still very functional. I mean, it's a freaking hatchet - how do you not carry one of these things into the woods? In conjunction with the machete/saw, you can build a wooden hut in less than a day.


4. Bowie Knife


     At 9 inches of blade, this is a multi purpose implement. A sharp blade with some heft. A cutting tool, scraping tool, a blade that can handle delicate tasks as well as crude chopping, it is to the woods as a butcher knife is to the kitchen. Heavier and less prone to breaking in prying situations than a smaller blade, a piece of steel with substance.

5. Pocket Knife


     A step down from the Bowie, but very functional. The knife I use every day, multiple times a day in or out of civilization. The nice thing about this Stanley is that it also is a box cutter out of the back end. Light weight, small, locking blade, straight and serrated portions of the blade. One can cut and minimally saw with this blade. Lose everything else, and this fella is going to take you a long way, it'll just take longer.

6. Multi-Tool



     It's a pen knife, pliers, file, screw drivers, scissors, can opener, gauge. Do I really have to explain why you should carry one of these? I carry one everywhere but bed, even then it is on the night stand. I fixed a Croc Pot with this, it does freaking everything.

7. Fillet/Boning Knife



     Okay, this one is not essential, but it's nice to have. A long, super sharp, razor thin knife for gutting fish, butchering small game, etc. Thin, flexible, it moves between and around bones like no other blade. This is a specific use tool. It's good for cutting flesh and nothing else.

     Some carry more, some carry less when going into the wilderness or as part of their bug out kits. I've found this to be an adequate and fairly light weight set of tools when venturing out. The thing about this set is that allows you to not carry shelter outside of a light tarp. This array will actually enable you to construct shelter swiftly and advance your comfort level over time. Shelter, general utility, and the processing of fish and game. This basic set will serve you more than adequately.

     As with any set of tools, user abilities are key. This basic set, when the individual items are used in concert with one another outside of individual and specific use, will serve and perform beyond basic needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment