Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Racism Is Not Unintentional








I keep reading about how racism is systemic and only can be directed by those in power. In other words, White people have held power over Black people (and other people of color) since the U.S. was founded, so no matter what has happened since then — no matter how prosperous Blacks have become, or the fact that a Black man is the leader of the free world — Whites still hold the power, so Black people are still oppressed and cannot be racist.


As a result of this thinking, White people are being convinced that asking questions about someone's difference (in the name of diversity and getting to know a culture other than their own) is racist.


In the 1990s, corporations were told that they weren't diverse enough because too many White men held positions of power. Departments of Diversity were created, often headed by a woman and/or person of color and/or gay or lesbian (the bi-sexuals and transgendered hadn’t been offended yet — and weren’t even recognized in their own “circle” of “different” sexual behavior), in the name of creating equality. So-called “affinity” groups were formed: Black Employee Networks, Asian Employee Networks, Left-handed Green-eyed Lesbians with Plus Seven Wizard Points Employee Network. Every “specialized” group wanted to be recognized for being different. In the name of “equality and diversity”, these groups essentially bullied their way into silos of difference. “Celebrate me because I’m different!” “Celebrate me because I’m special!” “Celebrate me because I’ve been held down by the White man!” I think it started as wanting be accepted, but it quickly devolved into wanting to be different but not different.


I was included in a class action lawsuit because of the color of my skin. The lawsuit was intended to give disadvantaged Blacks in the corporate world an opportunity to advance their education so they could move up the corporate ladder. I already had a Bachelor’s degree from a prestigious university, and was being told that I needed to take advantage of this “opportunity.” I took a class that interested me, but that had nothing to do with advancing me in the position I held. It was “free” money. Except it wasn’t. The company paid for it, and employee salaries (across the board) were likely limited because the company had this lawsuit they had to pay for. I am grateful for the “educational opportunity experience” I got, but in hindsight, I didn’t learn any more than I had learned in the same class in high school — and I got to take that class because of my intellect and ability, not because of the color of my skin or my gender.


This post is not about my own hubris. Please bear with me.


A quick Google search says that a “system” is (1) “a set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular” and (2) “a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.” Wikipedia (which is where most people rely on their definitions of things) says a system is a “ set of interacting or dependent component parts forming a complex/intricate whole.”


So where is the other side of this oppression/diversity system? If Whites hold the power and people of color are oppressed as part of this system, that means both sides are, in fact colluding. It means both sides are responsible. So why are Whites obliged to feel guilty for their success while people of color are continually oppressed for their lack of success? If Whites set a standard that works economically, educationally, socially, etc., that works for everyone, and people of color reject that just because Whites set it up, those people of color are part of that system that keeps them down because of their own rejection of people not of their color set it up.


According to the definition, a system needs more than one side to operate. And the people “in power” can only operate as long as the “oppressed” acquiesce to being the ones “not in power.” So I say to the “oppressed,” stop dwelling on the past. Stop demanding equality so long as you are only seeking revenge for the actions of the past. Equality has existed for a number of years for people of color. We have the opportunity to change the future for ourselves. Many of us have. We blame no one but ourselves for not taking advantage of the opportunities presented to us.


You cannot have your cake and eat it too.



No comments:

Post a Comment